Friday, July 31, 2009

What kind of spider?

I stepped on a spider, well it was dark and when I looked down to make sure that I didn鈥檛 have it still on my shoe, I noticed that it wasn鈥檛 on my shoe but there was a lot of fuzziness on my shoe. So I turned on the light and looked, there were thousands of baby spiders on my shoe and I looked down at the dead spider and thousands of baby spiders were walking away from the mothers body. She was carrying her babies on her back or stomach. So my question is what kind of spider does that? I wasn't able to tell what it was because she was squished. Mind you I live in west central Illinois..Thanks


Sorry if this isn't in the right category, not sure where to put it.
Answers:
The wolf spider's young (spider-lings) crawl on the mother for protection.The one's I've seen in Missouri are not hairy though.They must have been newly hatched and she was looking for a place to let them go. I just watched an egg sac hatch out about 3 weeks ago. The mother carries it around in her mouth until it is time for them to hatch out. We kept our female in a Ziploc container with a lid on it, just long enough to watch and then set the whole thing (minus the lid) out in my flower garden. The tiny spider-lings started to make webs right away. You can see pictures of various wolf spiders at below listed site. Missouri and Illinois also have several kinds of fishing spiders. They look hairier and are a minimum of 2".
I don't know, but that would scare the living CRAP out of me!
First off, thats mean to kill a spider, especially becuase it eats mosquitos. Second off, i can almost promise you it was a wolf spider.
Sounds like a wolf spider.
i dont know what kind maybe a pet tarantula got out but dang yuck! call the bug man to spray for spiders.
stick to booze , the drugs don`t work
Sounds like a wolf spider to me. Don't get bit by one. It isn't pleasant.
Lots of spiders do that. I'm from an area near yours. I see those common big ugly fuzzy spiders do that sometimes.
There are lots of spiders that carry their baby's on their back. One is the Wolf spider.
most spiders do that. The mother had probably laid her egg sack in one location, and probably felt that that location was in danger, so she was moving

looks like she chose the wrong time to move to another apartment!
i think a lot of spiders carry their babies in their stomachs or whatever, if you kill a spider and it has babies they will all come out when she dies.
There are several spiders that will carry their babies on their bellies or backs. I killed one when I lived in texas and thousands of babies came off her. It would depend on the size and color of the spider but it was most likely just your common house spider, or a wolf spider those can get pretty big.
If it had a red dot on it stomach your in trouble becuz that is the massive spread of black widows but if not ,then your pretty safe and dont have to worry about a thing
Charlotte from Charlot's web
We have always called them wolf spiders. They carry their children on their back. They don't make webs but live in holes in the ground next to the foundation of the house. They are not dangerous to you. But pretty creepy.
brown recluse or "wolf spider" their very poisonous
they carry their babies on their back
whatever it is its scary and wierd how you can step on the spider but the babies are still alive
wolf spider
Depends what the mum looked like, all answers with a type of spider unless there CAN"T say because ALL spiders produce around 1000 spiders, if that figur looks wrong then one thousand could of most likly been a garden spider. were they little yellow looking dots?. Alot of spiders carry babies on their back and first defense is for the babies to get to a safe place and they find the safest thing (maybe your foot seemed to be safe), you would of had trouble killing the babies as they are about the size of a full stop ( .) to about the size of a childs little finger nail, this is as babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment