Friday, July 31, 2009

What kind of squirrel do I have? I am taking care as best as I can, but I am dizzy with all the info out there

I have read so much on the internet about baby squirrels, everyone recommends something different. But I'm not sure what kind of squirrel I have, might be a flying squirrel as it seem to have slightly webbed sides, But I'm not sure. It seem to be doing ok, but not pooping as far as I can tell. I get a headache reading the 9000 sites about what to do, when I'm not even sure what I have. Please help!!
Answers:
It needs to be on puppy formula, every couple of hours. Most people think kitten formula is best, but it doesn't work well with baby squirrels. The momma licks them to stimulate them to go poop, so you'll have to wipe the little butt with a moist cotton ball (warm water if possible) so it can go after feeding it. If you don't do it, the baby will die. After a few weeks it'll be able to go on its own, but it takes a while. If you have any questions, email me. I raised 3 baby red squirrels and it was a joy, after the newborn stage when they kinda looked like mice, they get really cute, and very funny.

DO NOT give it nuts, any kind of nut will kill it! Babys can't eat them, not until its a lot older.

Can't find how to contact you, looks like YA has changed, so if you have questions, email me at trentroy@yahoo.com
it doesn't matter right now, figure it out when it's older.
they all eat similar things, so it wouldn't be a problem.
Is it red (red squirrel) or black (black squirrel) or grey (grey squirrel)? Does it have web of skin stretched between its legs (flying squirrel)?

It doesn't sound like it is doing OK. They are tough to keep as pets and can get frantic and die from the excitement of being kept in a cage.
Well, honestly I hate squirrels, but, In kittens, to stimulate them to poop, the mother cat licks their butt.
So my suggestion is to warm wet water on Q-tips or a wash cloth, and gently wipe its butt like a mother would lick its baby clean, see if that helps to stimulate the muscles.
Tiny drops of Cod liver oil mixed with the food you give it might also help!
Feed it some peanuts which they love an put some water in a little cup then in the morning call a vet an ask "how do you feed a squirrel"?
Good luck!!
I'm glad "Malak" knows what they are doing and can give you some experienced advice.you will probably get more confused as you hear things from people who have never even been closer to a squirrel than in a park. As kind as it is of you to take this on, it is a time consuming task and full of responsibility. I know you have already looked at a lot of websites, however here is one more for you.
http://www.squirrel-rehab.org/ This website provides a list of wildlife rehab/rescue organizations that may be close to you. I live in an area with a lot of squirrels, and have even taken a baby squirrel in myself to one such place. The baby was taken care of, raised by experts and released into an area that was appropriate for it to survive very well. Good luck to you and the little guy.
cheapest safest thing is to buy some goats milk they sell it in the grocery stores. pending on the squirrel you can use a small bottle, eye dropper or syringe to feed it. It needs to be fed every 2 - 3 hours. Get a shoe box and put a small hand towel in the bottom and a thick towel under the box. get a heating pad and put it under the towel under the box. keep it on the lowest setting. and check often to be sure it doesnt get to hot. if it sees to be too warm put another towel between the box and the pad. Be sure to wipe its little hiney with a warm damp cloth or cotton ball to help it relieve itself. do this after every feeding.

No comments:

Post a Comment