Friday, July 31, 2009

What kind of shoe do I use on a american saddlebred, I have toe clips in front, ? in back?

need name of shoe and where to purchase in Kentucky
Answers:
i would talk to your farrier about what kind of riding you do, how much, how often ect. my farrier provides the shoes i put on my show horse (the other one doesn't need shoes). if you don't show your horse you proabaly don't need to buy him special shoes. in fact it is better for the horses hoofs and legs to be bare foot. some horses need shoes because their hoofs crack or cruble. but if they have ok feet and you don't ride them a ton they don't need shoes. every horse is different. talk to the vet or farrier.
Well, I've never owned a Saddlebred, but I do have my share of Horses (2 to be exact).

First off, consider what kind of terran you ride on the most. If its gravel roads and trails, then just your standard horseshoe might work the best. Same thing if its an arena.

Also, consider the condition of your horse's feet. A shoe thats too 'heavy duty', for example a shoe thats ment for endurance riding, might make him a little bit sore.

Just use your own judgement, and you can always ask your Ferrier to suggest a type of shoe.

No comments:

Post a Comment