Thursday, July 30, 2009

what kind of oil to do u put on ur saddle to change the color?


Answers:
there are dyes that can be added to neatsfoot oil to make leather darker than the oil itself does. but i do not know of any oils that will lighten them.
You should oil your tack regularly anyway, i use neatsfoot oil myself but there are other leather conditioners on the market you can use.
go to a tack shop and look around
Neatsfoot oil will darken it and make it a bit more pliable.
I use to use Neatsfoot oil, but living in Florida it would always make my tack moldy by the next day, so I switched to Hydrophane oil. You can find it at most tack shops, but if not Dover Saddlery sells it. I love this stuff. It has darkened my saddle, but it wasn't immediate, just over time and with use. The oil doesn't rub off on my breeches like neatsfoot did and Hydrophane is very, very lite. I swear by it now. Either way, just oiling your saddle properly and daily riding will darken it.
to make it lighter or darker?
oil will make it darker. i like neatsfoot. but there are different kinds for different leathers and what you want.
go to your local tack shop and she if they will do it for you they will show you the darker or liighter oils because if you try to do it your self then you could end up with either spots or streaks a place called ballards tack will do it you can look them up on the web.

No comments:

Post a Comment