Friday, July 31, 2009

What kinds of services do you wish your Veterinarian offered?

Whats important to you about your vet? What do you like and what don't you like?
Answers:
My vet is the best. He is always calm and kind and you can tell he really cares about the animals. He offers everything from claw clipping to surgery. I would trust him to operate on me he is so good.

The only thing he doesn't offer is boarding. I would love to be able to leave my cats with him when I go on vacation because I know he would take super care of them. His building just isn't big enought to support that sort of service though. I wish he would move to a larger building so he could offer boarding.
Accupuncture and holistic herbal treatments. I don't personally practice accupuncture, but it's helpful in injuries and many diseases, and would prevent a lot of very expensive surgery.

I can cure skin conditions myself, including mange, with simple herbal treatments.

My vet recently wanted a $41 office visit and $130 to culture my dogs ears to see what kind of infection she had, before prescribing antibiotics - which would have entailed another $41 and the cost of the antibiotics!. Smelling the dogs ears made it obvious that she had a yeast infection, and I sprayed them twice a day for 5 days with tea tree oil, chamomile and aloe, cleaned them daily, and have had no more problems. You can make a weak vinegar solution and spray the dog's ears once a week to keep them clean, also..

I see too many people blindly following the doctor's orders and paying through the nose for it, or worse. I did, just this past spring. My dachshunds got very very sick with kennel cough and a secondary respiratory infection which they caught from an adopted dog. All they would drink was warm chicken broth which I made, and they had green mucous actively running from their noses. I was applying hot packs and massaging it out, forcing them to sneeze, etc. The pup made it.

The antibiotics which they gave my older dog were too strong for him, and resulted in his liver shutting down, and I had him put down 6 days short of his 15th birthday. This was just 22 days after I put my 10 y/o Basset girl down to cancer, for which the same office but another vet wanted $500 to operate - when the cancer had already spread to the lymph gland above the leg. I kept her home and comfortable, and when she became uncomfortable from the pain, I asked the vet for painkillers for her. HE REFUSED! I didn't have the money at the time to take her to another vet, so I gave her buffered aspirin and a veterinary herbal tincture for anxiety, massaged her a lot, and slept on the floor with her and the other dogs in a dog pack for 5 nights until my next check came in and I could afford to put her down. I took her blankets and pillow from home with her, and stayed with her. She was quiet and comforted. I took her to another vet for the euthanasia, and will never frequent that heartless SOB again for making my poor girl suffer.

Most vets have become big business ventures, and small clinics or travelling vet aides would be preferable and more affordable, offering better and more comprehensive services in many cases, in my opinion.
I go by price. That's the key. That is why walmart does so well. Folks will give up originality, quality.based on price.

I wish my vet offered shots without charging a stupid VET VISIT charge, just to walk in the door. Especially on 'legally mandatory' shots, like rabies.

I wish my vet didn't rake me over the coals on every little thing.
I work for a vet and I wish he would offer equine services. Then I could get 50% off of my horse vet bills and I would be very happy! Plus I have always wanted to work for a large animal vet.

No comments:

Post a Comment