Monday, May 24, 2010

What strategies do you use to make your house round and using its hind end ?

I'm having difficulty with my horse. I was curious to see if there were any better ways than what ive been trying.
Answers:
Well, first of all, make sure that you're sitting nice and deep in your saddle, keep your wieght just slightly behind the horses center of balance.
Work off a 20 - 30 meter circle to begin with, this will help the horse to collect more easily. To encourage the use of its back end, place ground polls roughly 1 - 1.3meters apart, and trot over them. I've found this method especially effective, and you cant do any damage over ground polls.
you will feel as soon as the horse begins to collect.
and by "collection" im not meaning a shortened stride, im meaning that the horse will begin to use itself correctly. Also alot of slow hill work (walking and trotting) this will also help the horse to use the hindquarter effectively.
Also, elastics are very good, as you dont have to hold them, they just sit over the horses poll, and through the bit, and down between the front legs to the girth, almost like running reins, but much kinder and far more flexible as the horse can still lift its head if it wants to, but the tension on the elastic kind of discourages it.

Ummmm..drop me an email, or IM me, im online now, maybe i can help some more, i doalot of work with racehorses, teaching them how to use their hindquarters, etc.
Hi there;
By round do you mean you wish your horse to roll back using the hind end (where the power is) or you mean more collected and not cracking in the back?
I think I can help with the working off the hind a bit.
You will need to do ring work with this trick; using the rail, keep your horse one half a horse length away then turn your horse into from the rail for a reverse position using your outside leg. (the outside leg is the leg away from the turn). Make sure that your horse is nicely squared off before the turn.
If this is something new to your horse then always begin teaching this move at the full stop, then work your way to a walk, jog, lope. Work both ways of the ring so you do not end up with a one direction horse.
Personally I like the ground work to be solid before asking any horse to do anything new or potentially confusing.
Watch someone else ride your horse to see if the horse is up on the bit and is well collected. Ask yourself is the horse moving forward or just moving. When moving forward are you seeing ears/tail swishing/twitching? Is your horses mouth constantly working with the bit? These are signals that perhaps a change in the tack would help to get your horse thinking more on what the rider is asking of him/her. Ask for clean stops and willing starts regardless of gait.
As for rounding, I am going to assume your horse is hollowing out in the back. It is essential that your body position as well as your leg position be correct. Check to make sure that you are not sitting with your weight too far forward nor with your legs too far behind you. Your seat is critical if you want to round your horse's back so it can work more easily from its source of power.
The best way to correct your seat (if that is what is a issue) is to sit on your horse at the stop and ask your self these questions:
If my horse were to bolt like a cartoon caricture (which mine has lol) and I should end up with a split second of air time would I end up on my face? On my feet? Or on my rear end?
On my face, you are too far forward.
On my feet you in a balanced seat for your horse.
On my rear, you are behind your horse and sitting right on his/her power plant. Correct the seat and your legs should fall where they need to be.
Gee, I hope some of this helps a bit. Good luck with your mount.
PS. Never let your outside leg drop behind the cinch when attempting a rollback.

No comments:

Post a Comment