Saturday, May 22, 2010

What should I do?

I wanna get a horse, I know haw to care for one and everything. (Shots, de-wormers etc.) But I dont know how to convince my mom to let me get one. I have my father behind me and we have both tried to talk to her. i understand a horse can be a lot of money but I would sell the other half to a friend who knows horses too. So I would not have all the debt on me. I've explained all that to my mom and she still wants estimates on everything and I keep tryin to give them to her and she keeps finding something else wrong with my plan. What do you think I should do to help show my mom that I A) know what I'm doing with the horse and B) Can take care of him, even if I have to give up track? I have worked with horses in the past for several years and she still doesn't trust me..
Answers:
It's possible you're mom is afraid you'll get hurt. Even the most gentle, well trained horse is dangerous. Maybe lay off on asking for a horse and ask for riding lessons, instead. Maybe after you've had a few weeks or months of lessons, your mom will see that you can handle a horse and be more willing to listen. Also, maybe get her to take lessons with you. She might enjoy it and be more receptive to owning a horse.
can you teach horse riding lessons or something of the sort? If you can, your mom will see that you are responsible enough to take care of horses AND kids all at once. That should sway her over a bit.
Start with a hamster and prove to her that you can take care of that.
As a veterinarian answering this question, please consider your choices very carefully. It is one thing spending money on food and boarding but you must also consider medical cost if your horse should become ill. Even simple issues such as eye problems, skin lacerations can be costly. Major things such as colic or any infection can run into the thousands. I am not against you owing a horse, but just want you to consider all aspects of your decision.
First of all plan a family meeting. Say this," I am a responsible child and If you just gave me the chance I would do it so well. I would feed her/him, love her/him, give him/her drink, brush him/her, everything. Please, this is very impotant to me. Just think about it." And you mother is bound to say yes. Good luck! :-)

P.S. If you want add this,"I will also pay half or more of the cost if you can pay the rest."


P.S.S. Third time I've edited, but oh well. At diner time try stateing facts you can get about horses.
If you're currently riding, show responsibility and excellent horsemanship around the stables. Maybe try leasing a horse and caring for him/her. Don't hassle your mom about getting a horse, just continue to be a mature, enthusiastic horseperson and continue learning about horse care and developing your riding skills.
As a rescuer of animals,I can see them saying no to you. Most of the animals that come into our rescue are owner turn in, the number one reason is child lost interest in the pet, followed closely by I got it for my child and they where not taking care of it, and I did not want to take care of it either.

If you really want a pet, you need to show that you are becoming responsible. Do things with out having to be asked, also ask if you can help out, cooking cleaning dishes or mow the lawn or rake leaves, for a week or so. If you have a low grade in a subject work to bring it, up. Do not bring up wanting a pet. Then after that ask if there are ways you can help out around the home, trash, dished sweep or mop, ask for chores. If you show that, you are becoming more responsible you may not be over looked the next time you ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment