Saturday, May 22, 2010

What Should I Get Back Into Western W/ Riding Barrels Or English W/ Show Jumping?

I've done both for along time. It's about time for me to choose just one.
Answers:
both are dangerous, and both are challenging. you obviously enjoy the adrenaline side of horses :-).

what is your horse best at? which one makes you the happiest? which one can you get the best trainer for?

maybe you could try ONLY show jumping for a month. if you miss barrell racing, then after the first month, ONLY barrell race for a month. see which month you liked more.

good luck!
Which one do you like more, and which one is your horse more suited for? They are both exciting sports and both physically hard on the horse. That's really a personal choice, do you have a trainer for either that you like better? You might want to also consider which venue has more shows in your area. Good luck chosing! If it were me, I'd pick show jumping, but then again, I prefer english.
I will say that personally, I love english! I took lessons as a child. riding western. Then started taking lessons about 5 months ago, english. I love English, and that's all I'll ever want to do. I feel as if it takes so much "more" to ride english. But you need to do whatever your heart tells you to do. Just remember to always have fun!
Which excites you more, and what is your horse better at?

Who says you have to stick with just one thing, though? Of course, if you are planning to have an extensive show career, it may best to stick to one or the other due to potential stressors for the horse and you. If its just for occasional shows/play days, or your own pleasure, the more you and your horse can do the better!

Why don't you look into something a little more broad like eventing? Major adrenaline there!!
hmmm. If your horse broke his ankle I would guess he is not going to be suitable for either sport. Both events require a lot of the horse physically and he needs to be 100% sound for both of you to be safe.
Obviously you can compete in both activities in your area. I did some gymkhana in my teens but switched to eventing (1 %26 3 day) and stadium jumping was the final element. If i had to make a choice I would go with jumping.
western it is safer than show jumping
I would go with jumping just because I like english a lot more than western, but thats just my opinion.
engllish show jumping

No comments:

Post a Comment