Monday, May 24, 2010

What size cage is best for two adult female guinea pigs?

I have recently adopted 2 female guinea pigs. They came with a cage, feeding bowl, water bottle (that leaked and I replaced) and a sleeping house. It looks too small to me and I would really like to get them more room to run around and play. I also have inside dogs that are interested in them. I am sure they will not hurt them intentionally, but might let them out or injure them while trying to play, so I have to have a lid. Also, I bought treat and timothy hay for them plus a salt wheel. Is there anything else I need to provide for them?
Answers:
I too recommend the website that Em listed.using the C%26C method you can "dog-proof" your cage with a "ceiling" grids. Your piggies don't need a salt wheel, but they DO need special guinea pig pellets and vitamin C, which they can get from being fed fresh fruit %26 veggie treats (mine love romaine lettuce, oranges and strawberries, but any dark green veggie will really provide them with the vitamin C they need). Here's the dorky site I made for my piggies, which covers most all of the basics that they need to be happy piggies.

http://www.secondstarillustrations.com/c.

Good luck!
Nope, that's all you need for happy guinea pigs.
When considering cages, bigger is always better. GPs like about a square yard each, but are very social, and don't mind sharing.
You could let them out to play in a bathroom, away from the dogs. (easy clean-up too) Get some cardboard boxes and tubes, tunnels, cat toys, and other interesting things for them to play with. Make a little "disneyland" for them, they will get exersize and won't be bored.
Good luck and enjoy the little guys.
no one knows cavies (guinea pigs) better than the British and there is a very helpful site called Cavy Madness with measurements and pictures of cages and lots of other good things to know.

http://www.cavymadness.com/

I have noticed that many of the commerically made cages that are advertised as My Guinea Pig's First Home are by and far way too small for even one fuzzbutt.
Build a cube cage! It's cheap and you can make a large, roomy cage to the dimensions you want.
http://www.guineapigcages.com/cubes.htm.
More info about cage needs on their home page:
http://www.guineapigcages.com/index.htm.
It says 2 pigs need at least 7.5 square feet but 10.5 is preferred.

No comments:

Post a Comment