Friday, May 8, 2009

what is your ethical belief on animal testing?

do you support or oppose scientific testing on animals? WHY?
Answers:
I support it.

OK, a lot of stuff being tested is just plain innecessary. Our demand for more and more powerful chemical solutions to everyday problems is stupid on our part, especially when safe, eco-friendly, and equally effective solutions exist.

However, there are billions of chemical combinations out there, and trillions of possible interactions between these. These can be anything from medicines to make-up, and each one presents a real and potential danger.

Sure, maybe this one product is probably safe- known safe ingredients, known safe processing techniques, etc.- but are you really willing to use it if it has not been well-tested?

Computer testing, you say? Sure- if computers were perfect, that might work, but they are only as good as their programming and data set.

I don't want companies to use my family for product testing. I want to be pretty confidant the stuff is safe. Some of my kids have allergies- will this new product trigger them? What will happen when they use THIS shampoo and THIS skin cleanser- will it be safe?

How about this medicine? Is it safe? What other products does it react to? How safe are you willing for it to be before you'll trust it? Pretty safe?

I love animals, but I don't understand why they deserve rights that most humans cannot enjoy.
NO! I CAN'T STAND WHEN THEY TEST ANIMALS AND HAVE THEM TO SUFFER AS LONG AS THEY DON'T HURT THEM. BECAUSE I AM A REALLY BIG ANIMAL FAN
I think its wrong. Those poor animals shouldn't have to suffer so humans can look good.
Not sure, I guess its better than testing on humans like Hitler did.
I oppose anything cruel to animals.
No since animals are dying just to give a human something they don't need.
I think it's horrible and wrong. Animals can't speak for themselves, and even if they could, why would they ask, "please put toxic chemical on me to see if it burns my skin!" ?? I think there are other ways to test, and I think the majority of the companies who still act this barbarically should be bound and gagged and tested on themselves.
I do not have any problems with the HUMANE testing of animals. I hate cruelty to animals though. I think many people would feel differently if they had a child with a disease for which a cure was being tested on animals. I don't care how many rats have to bite the dust if it will save my relative.

The drawback is that I don't think the testing is regulated. If the testing is allowed, then cruelty comes out. I have seen on TV (many years ago) where they actually burned a pig to test burn remedies. It was absolutely awful and there is no reason for that. I also 'heard' (don't know if it was true) that some lab was actually clubbing chimps on the head to check out brain injuries. This just makes me sick.
If you want to bring ethics into play, then lets explore Kant.

Kants manifest plainly states that for something to be treated ethically, it must be a rational being. Animals do not fit into this category, and are therefore other rational beings, ie, us.

It is a superiority complex, for sure, but it is ethically sound and his Deontology (which has a few more parts) has been a pivotal foundation of ethics for over 200 years now.
flat out wrong under any circumstance. cruel and unjustifyable in ALL instances. ALL ! any excuse/ rationalization i have ever heard has been self serving at best..A Society That Stoops To Systematic Animal Cruelty Is Not Worth Saving In The 1st Place !
Oh dear. That's going to get you some interesting answeres.

Here is my take on it.

I'm strongly against testing animals that is currently happening regarding beauty products. They have proven what is ok, and what is not to last a long time without having to test new products (With all the same old ingredients they are now re-testing on animals) just to approve it to sell it.

I am ok with animal testing that has been done that can be applied to human health. Pen and Teller did a show about "Peta" and their approach on this topic, and a couple others. They showed that some major Peta head hancho's are using drugs to stay alive (Diabetes) that had to be tested on animals in order to prove their safety for human use. A majority of our science, and health approaches to save people's life have to be thanked by animal testing. Its unfortunate that animal has to be done in order to have us flourish, however if you look at your local "BackStage West" newspaper you will see alot of company's asking for 'volunteers' to test out a new medication. Or paying high amounts of money to collect female's eggs for infertale women. There are many side effects that occure when things like this happen here on our own front that people get blind sided by humanity's ignorance and selfishness.

Ask around. Chances are someone you know, or their family member have had medical problems that had been linked to them needing money and offering their body's for a new drug, etc.

My mother never was able to have her own children due to a trial birth control that infected so many trial women they never made it to the shelves.
My friend has major health concerns when it comes to her female reproductive tract, and hormonal balance, because she needed money and donated some of her eggs.

The question should be asked if anyone has every used asprin. Or birth control, or diabetes medication, or a grandparent in the hospital, etc. Chances are they have animal medical testing to thank for the results.
I believe that animal products should be tested on animals and people products should be tested on people.
I oppose of both types of animal testing. The first type of animal testing is cosmetic testing. I don't believe in this because humans were makeup and animals don't. It is sad that we subject animals to an industry that they are not even a part of. The second type of animal testing is for medical research. I don't believe in it because there are now ways to test certain things without the use of animals. Those these are expensive they will save many animal lives.
I think that cosmetic testing on animals is pretty frivelous and is a bit cruel, as it hurts the animals and it's just for makeup.
Medical testing, I fully support. Countless medications have been developed through animal testing, which have saved countless human lives. Man has always eaten other animals, or used them to do work. It's the way things are. If you have a problem with it, stop being a human. There's no way to change the fact that our ancestors needed to use animals for labor, food, and clothing to survive. If you can't deal with the fact that we need to rely on the exploitation of animals to further our own species, then stop being a part of our species.
People run their mouth about animal cruelty being horrible and all that, but I'm sure if they or one of their loved ones was dying and needed just one shot to save their lives, they would not research whether that shot was tested on animals or not before getting that shot. They wouldn't care one bit, because it saved their life.

No comments:

Post a Comment