Friday, May 8, 2009

What is wrong with my chicken?

I have a young silkie, about 3 months old. She has a fouled vent, the feathers around the vent are all gone, she is underweight, stares vacantly and sometimes makes a noise like she's in pain. The other birds in the flock are fine.
Any thoughts?
Answers:
Your chokin' it to hard and too often. Relax the grip and move slowly up and down.
Sounds like she is low chicken in the pecking order. The others may be picking on her. Watch closely and see if she is being mistreated by another one of the chickens.
Maybe she has bird flu! My stepfather raises chickens and the rooster will pull the feathers out of some of the hens when they are.you know. The loss of feather could be due to natural molting.
The first answer was pretty funny. I am going to vote for it. As for the question, I don't know. Probably your chicken is gay or something.

Thanks for the 2 points.
Whenever one of my chicken are sick, I separate it from the flock and put it in a cage by itself and give it some TLC, and that usually does the trick. Once she's back to normal, you could reintroduce her.
Can I assume that you have isolated this bird from the others?

That has to be the first step.
it could be a number of things- upper respiratory infection, internal parasites etc. If she were older I might think egg bound. Try a dose of water soluble antibiotics fist- if it is bacterial that should clear it pretty fast. If that does not do it a piperzine based wormer would be my next try. If she were older than twenty weeks I would check to see if she were egg bound- put on a latex glove run a finger up the vent and if you find an egg lodged there break it so everything can pass.
I think I would do what the fella above me said.but keep it away from the other birds because when they sense something is weak they will pick at it, and actually kill it.

No comments:

Post a Comment