Sunday, August 2, 2009

What neurological disease do horses get from grazing near cows?

A horse was recently diagnosed with a neurological (fatal) disease that was said to be known as green grass disease and was suggested that the horses close proximity to pasturing near several dairy cows 2 years ago may have been the culprit. Any truth to this?
Answers:
I've never heard of anything called "green grass disease", nor could I find a reference to it on the Internet.
I have kept horses pastured with cows my entire life and have never even heard of any neurological disease a horse could contract from that.
I'd have to say, based on my own experience, there is no truth to that.
DEFINATELY NOT
I know someone else spreading this rumor. Cows don't cause diseases in horses. They won't eat the grass around the poop either. You didn't specify the disease but EPM is accociated with oppussums if they get into the hayloft they can defecate on the hay. The only problems I know from grasses are colic and laminitis.
Sounds like your 'diagnosis' came from someone who's NOT a vet. The only way to truley diagnose a neurological disease (like EPM) is through testing the spinal fluid.

I'd make damned sure what my horse 'had' before I believed someone telling me his disease was fatal. Especially since they're using terms like 'green grass disease' and spreading lies about cows grazing with horses being harmful.

No comments:

Post a Comment